PREVIOUS

Truck Fire On Monday

NEXT
NEXT UP

Assistance Available Through FSA For Drought...

O'NEILL — Holt-Boyd County U.S. Department of Agriculture ...

FEATURED

O'Neill Police Department Raises
Awareness During It's Click It Or Ticket

Jun 15, 2022 (0)

Hynes Street project got underway early in May with the roadway coming off of Hwy. 281 to Archer St.

The O'Neill Police Department helped to raise awareness about seat belt safety to area residents during its annual Click It or Ticket high-visibility seat belt enforcement campaign, held May 23 through June 5.  The campaign, which coincided with the Memorial Day holiday, was twofold: to combine increased enforcement and a zero-tolerance policy, with effective communication to road users on the importance of seat belt use. On May 23, the campaign commenced with Border to Border, a one-day, 4-hour national seat belt awareness event coordinated by participating state highway safety offices and their respective law enforcement liaisons.

This year's Click It or Ticket campaign was a real success.  We believe we helped keep community members safe and reminded drivers of the importance of buckling up. Issuing tickets was not our goal, but it was a way to remind people of the importance of such a simple action.

During this year's campaign, NHTSA urged law enforcement nationwide to issue seat belt citations to anyone caught in violation of the law — during the day, and especially at night, when 55% of those killed are unrestrained.

According to the 2021 Nebraska Seat Belt Use Survey report, Nebraska's overall seat belt use rate for 2021 was 81.2%. The Click It or Ticket campaign is focusing on the remaining 18.8% who still don't buckle up. Thousands of lives could be saved each year if every person was properly restrained on the road.

(0) COMMENTS

Welcome to the discussion.
0 0 0 0 0
Tags

Cars

Click It or Ticket

OPD

Seatbelt

View archive